Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How to use technology to engage my students over long holidays or snowdays.

My last job was more technologically engaged than my current job. We were required to post all assignments online on a weekly basis. This way both the parents and the students had access to my lesson plans. If we were out of school for several days, and the students took their books home, they could look over upcoming assignments, and therefore, hopefully stay current. I am sure many of my former students spent many hours pouring over their teacher's websites over the long weekend. (lol).

Many of my colleagues also posted links to educational game websites , posted weekly vocabulary lists, reading logs, etc. to help their students stay hooked up to educational learning activities while not actually in the school building. I know my daughter spent quite a lot of time looking over her Spanish vocabulary words that were posted weekly. The school website was also a good place to search for which AR books and tests were available in our district.

I look forward to reading all of the responses to see what other ways technology can be used to keep students engaged over long holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Your old district sounds like it had some good resources. I would like to start a blog or something to keep my parents informed, but it's probably too late in the year to do it now... maybe next year. I also worry because many of my students do not have access to a computer. Do you have the same problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few of my students have computers at home. The Clinton Public Library has computers open to the public, but that is 5 miles away, and my younger students do not have a way to get there, and I can't see my older students going to Clinton to hang out in the Library. I hope my district will get more interested in technology, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete