Monday, April 19, 2010

The Hardest Thing I Face in My Own Professional Development

I think the hardest thing I face in my own Professional Development is narrowing down exactly what field to obtain the professional development in.  I teach 7-12 grade English, Pre-Algebra, Algebra and Geometry.  Next year I will teach 7-12 grade English, 7th grade Math, 8th grade Math, Algebra, and Geometry.  How do I decide which subject to get developed?  All areas that I teach are tested, but I am a Special Education teacher by major.  I have decided to stay current in Special Ed because the rules from the State Department of Education and the laws seem to be always changing.  There are other Math and English teachers in my building that I can correspond with to stay somewhat current in those areas, but I am the only Special Education teacher in my building.  I have to know what is going on with paper-work etcetra so that I don't get myself, other teachers, or my district into legal trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Being a special ed teacher is like being a jack-of-all-trades. It's very important that you keep up to date on state law (and I'm sure your colleagues are thankful for that). It is a lot of pressure to keep up with all of that and to try to get your kids ready for the test. Good job on all you do. You truly deserve a break coming up!! Not too much longer!

    ReplyDelete